Tuesday, January 17, 2012

PEZ



Did you know my husband collects PEZ? Yes, PEZ. As in, those plastic cartoon characters that you tilt their head back and they dispense a hard, crumbly, fruity piece of candy. He has been collecting them since he was a little boy. As he got older he stopped buying so many but people who knew he collected them kept buying them for him and kept his collection growing. I first found out that Zach collected PEZ back in college. He had a whole bunch of them lined up on top of the cabinets in their apartment. Back then I thought it was quirky and fun. He told me he had a big collection. And when we got married I saw the bins filled with PEZ that we moved with us from apartment to apartment but I had never REALLY seen the collection. Zach has said multiple times that he wanted to get them all out to see what he had, so the other day it happened. This happened...





I knew he had a lot, but this! This was more than I had imagined. And was actually way more interesting than I had imagined! He not only has the little plastic characters, he has everything PEZ you can imagine! Books, and shirts, and piggy banks, cars, pens, keychains, stuffed animals, ornaments, you name it! It was interesting when I asked him what his most valuable PEZ was. He pulled out this guy...

The no-footed green incredible hulk. Apparently it's worth about $250 bucks. Not bad!
(By the way, if you ever come across PEZ without "feet" or the little stand at the bottom, they are much more valuable than "footed" PEZ. See how much I've learned?)
As much as Zach would like to keep these out on display, it has been kind of rough keeping Graham away from them- and eventually we'll want to play ping pong again- so they'll be going back in the bins soon. Maybe one day when we finish our basement and have a game/entertainment room, he can display them. Maybe. :)

3 comments:

Nina said...

hahaha! This is hilarious! I have never seen anyone collect those, but it's awesome!

Marie said...

One of the funniest nights I remember in my LIFE was when we met Zach for the first time and he talked about PEZ for about an hour. Seriously!! He was hilarious!!! I wish we were closer so we could come gawking at the display! ;) Who knows, maybe it could pay for a great-grandchild's college education or something!

NatMo said...

That's so funny! I would like to see that.