I don't often set New Year's resolutions and when I do, I don't usually follow through. But this year I made a goal to run a half marathon. Now this is pretty amazing for me because my whole life I have HATED running and have avoided it at all costs. ( I don't know what came over me.)
I started training in January and after a while decided what better day to run a half marathon than my birthday? So that's what I did! I ran the Utah Valley half marathon. It started at 5:30 in the morning so I had to wake up around 3:30. It was freezing and raining at first but I was glad it was cool outside and the sun was hidden.
My whole goal was to run the whole thing without stopping or walking at all and I did it! My time was pretty terrible but I have to keep reminding myself I wasn't worried about time.
It was hard. Oh so hard.
I had done a few 10 mile runs that went well so I thought there would be no problem. But let me tell you, there is a BIG difference between 10 miles and 13.1 miles. The last few miles were so so hard. While I was running I was thinking to myself, "What was I thinking? This is not fun. I will never do this again. This is NOT fun." But now looking back on it I am so glad I did it and I think I will definitely do another one. (I really want to redeem myself and make better time!)
I started training in January and after a while decided what better day to run a half marathon than my birthday? So that's what I did! I ran the Utah Valley half marathon. It started at 5:30 in the morning so I had to wake up around 3:30. It was freezing and raining at first but I was glad it was cool outside and the sun was hidden.
My whole goal was to run the whole thing without stopping or walking at all and I did it! My time was pretty terrible but I have to keep reminding myself I wasn't worried about time.
It was hard. Oh so hard.
I had done a few 10 mile runs that went well so I thought there would be no problem. But let me tell you, there is a BIG difference between 10 miles and 13.1 miles. The last few miles were so so hard. While I was running I was thinking to myself, "What was I thinking? This is not fun. I will never do this again. This is NOT fun." But now looking back on it I am so glad I did it and I think I will definitely do another one. (I really want to redeem myself and make better time!)
Zach, Graham, my parents, Robert and Melinda all woke up super early and drove out to be at the finish line. Thanks for coming! And I'm sorry you had to wait so long for me in the cold!
After the race we met Zach's family for breakfast at Magleby's. Then my family took Graham home and Zach and I got a great uninterrupted nap for the first time in a LONG time! I went and got my haircut (which I always love doing) and then Zach and I went and saw Iron Man 2. Then we finished off the day with a BBQ and my family's house. My mom made the best hamburgers I have ever had. LITERALLY!! All the food was amazing! Thanks mom.
It was an awesome birthday!!
It was an awesome birthday!!
6 comments:
You are the WOOOOMAN! Happy birthday and good job, I'm super proud of you. Now get ready for Mesa Falls 1/2 with me this fall....
You are amazing! I also hate running so I know that must have been really hard to tackle. Happy belated birthday!
Good job! That is a huge accomplishment! And happy birthday too :)
Steph, you are awesome!! Good job, I am officially amazed. And happy birthday, glad it was a good one!
You are amazing! Way to stick to your resolutions, so inspiring!! Our gym teacher would be so proud of you!
Congrats! I heard all about your training. Your mom is an awesome lady with many talents. I love working with her and Grahm is very lucky to have such a special grandma.
Post a Comment