Monday, November 26, 2012

Christmas DIYs and Decor

The day after Thanksgiving I pulled out our Christmas decorations and realized how few decorations I had! And even of the few I had there were a lot that I didn't like anymore. (You know those, $2 decorations that you get for like 90% off after Christmas? I bought them because they were so cheap, not so necessarily because I liked them.)
So any who, I went to Hobby Lobby that night-- after the crazy crowds were gone for the day-- to get a few more decorations. I swear to you, it seems like they are clearing out Christmas decorations already! I went a couple of weeks ago and they had WAY more than they have now. That really bugs me. 
Anyway, anyway, so I didn't see much I liked so I decided to make a few decorations myself. I started with some styrofoam things, spray painted them red, and added some fake berries. 


The ball is done! Took a few hours. Not really cost effective after I added it all up, but I like it :)

Here it is in place. (Sorry for the terrible phone shots.)



I haven't finished decking out the entertainment center yet, but this is a start.


And here is the styrofoam tree after the berries were added. I LOVED the berries on the stems, they were so pretty. They don't look as amazing on the tree, but I still like it so I'll keep it. No, I'll definitely keep it because this thing was a pain in the butt to make! With the smaller ball there were wires that I just stuck into the foam. These balls didn't have wire so I had to glue them on and it took hours for the glue to dry. I had to do it section by section waiting hours in between. 


Here it is in place on the entry table-



I have never blogged about the wreath on my door before but I should. That's how much I love it. I use the same basic boxwood wreath all year round. Most of the year it is just plain - which I like, I'm a simple girl-- but during holidays I change out the berries and decor. I really love it. I wish I would have gotten a shot of the fall version before I switched it out. 
Here is the Christmas-y version of my wreath. 


Just for comparison, here is the Halloween version of my wreath-


Here's the front porch. I hate the wires!! But I don't know what to do with them?? I've got to do something.


By the way, I got these two potted Christmas trees for $43 dollars at Lowes online on black Friday. I got them BOTH for $43. Killer deal!!  ( Trust me, I looked around A LOT!)

I also did one more DIY Christmas tree. This one was MUCH easier and MUCH cheaper than the other two projects. I bought this Christmas tree form at Hobby Lobby for $4 and just Modge Podged scrapbook paper onto it. 


Here it is in place on top of the book shelf.


I have a lot more decorating to do but our house has been plagued with illness so it will just have to wait.
Merry Christmas and happy decorating! :)



1 comment:

Marie said...

Really really really cute!!! I was looking at my sad array of decor this year as well. But, we'll have to wait another year to add more. This year I am focusing more on my tree :)