Monday, November 12, 2012

Myth Buster

I'm sure you've all seen this image a hundred times on Pinterest right?

I had. And I had heard before of a ceramic pen that you could draw on plates with and bake to customize your own dishes. So when I saw these posts about using basic sharpies I thought, "No way!! Regular sharpies won't do that. You have to have a ceramic pen!" But the post was EVERYWHERE! Multiple posts, multiple people. Everyone was doing it, so I started believing it. (Classic case of peer pressure!)
Still very skeptical, I decided to try it. I really wanted a birthday plate and after looking around on etsy, and not wanting to pay $47.00, I decided to give the sharpie method a try.

I looked on etsy for some inspiration.... 

bought my dollar store white plate and colored sharpies and got to work....



I was really happy with my plate! I SO wanted this whole thing to work. I did my research on many different tutorials. They differed a little in time and temperature but were mostly the same. Bake at 300 for 40 min. (Or something close to that.) I did it. This is the plate before baking.


Here it is after baking-

 You can see the colors faded a little bit and looked more streaky (is that a word?) But still not bad if this was indeed, permanent. 

I didn't want to face the fact that my cute plate might wash away so I didn't even use or wash it for months. But today I was feeling much less attached to it and gave it a try. 

This was a few seconds after LIGHT scrubbing. 


And this was after a minute of good scrubbing. 



MYTH BUSTED. I was a fool to believe.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh the lies on the internet. That is too bad. I believed in it too.

Crowntown said...

What a sad story. :( It was such a pretty plate.

Marie said...

YUCK!!! I am losing my love affair with pinterest. Although the secret boards I think might help. It's been really fun looking at your pictures and "catching up" I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving. We miss you so much and love you more!! I'll call soon!